Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics

I fit under the demographics of “Generation X.”  “Generation X.  The baby boom followed by a “birth dearth,” creating another generation of 49 million people born between 1965 and 1976.  Author Douglas Coupland calls them Generation X because they lie in the shadow of the boomers and lack obvious distinguishing characteristics.”  (Marketing; An Introduction, 10th Edition P. 73)  Growing up I was a latchkey kid, my mom was in marketing and worked long hours  meeting with clients and my dad was a school teacher so he would always stay after school to grade his students work.  Almost everyday I was the first one home and it was several hours before my dad or mom came home.  I also fit under Generation X because as a parent my family comes first then my career.  I believe in a strong household environment.  I never make any large purchases unless I have done my research on the product, and then I still do a price check to make sure that I am not paying more than I need to.  I also face the growing economic pressures, for instance gas prices.  We all have to drive too and from places, it is now a matter of how much gas do I want to waste running around.  Growing up had I been exposed to financial planning, I might be in a more comfortable nest egg for retirement.  I have figured out over the years how to keep my debt ratio down and no credit card debt, and I am still able to put away money for retirement but you always think to yourself will that be enough for the years I am retired and still be able to travel and do fun things.  Growing up it would of been great to be offered in school classes that pertained to parenting, home, fitness and financial opportunities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment